Sunday, March 16, 2014

Wavy Circles

My 'April' blocks started off well enough when I finally put iron to fabric and needle to fabric yesterday.


But today - aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have another block that is no where near flat. Given past experience, it will fit into the black dot frame, but after that I wonder whether it's ever going to sit flat enough to be quilted. It's annoying.



I am going to start cutting my freezer paper pieces inside the outlines to see if that make a difference on the next blocks.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I would even attempt something like these blocks - so well done you for even trying. Fingers crossed they sit flat and fit into their frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both blocks are looking great, and I am sure once you add the frames they will be stunning. From my experience, things like 1/4" seam & thick/er pencil lines really do make an unbelievable difference with hand piecing!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating! The fabric and shapes look great - maybe it's one that will need long arming in quite a dense all over pattern when it's done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blocks look great and it is amazing what comes out with quilting.... that being said, I saw an ironing tip in a video that seemed to help get my curved piecing under control (and I can assure you some of it has been completely OUT of control lol). Anyway, lay a towel on your ironing board, steam it good with your iron and then lay the block on it, it will relax everything, then carefully finger press the seams before ironing. I find that that final pressing works better without the towel underneath.

    I hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So frustrating!!!! Hopefully the cutting will make a difference, and I'm sure the quilting will help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karyn, I have just finished the first block you have photographed and I found that the outside
    melon piece is not the same size as the inside edge. Once I dealt with this my block sat perfectly flat after pressing. I absolutely love doing this quilt. Hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete