Sunday, November 25, 2018

Black and White Gingham Star Quilt

I decided to start something new. I bought a range of cotton ginghams from the Fabric Shop in Otara a while ago. I cut into them yesterday to start a simple star quilt inspired by Then Came June's Gingham Inside Out Star Quilt.

Cutting WOF at 8 and 3/4 inches has been the most frustrating part so far. The fabric is wider than my cutting mat and 8 and 3/4 inches is wider than my long ruler. The good part is that all of the cutting is done up front, so I am done with that.

In Meghan's original she used white for the stars. I feel I used enough white in quilts in the first couple of years of the 'modern' quilt phase. And I am making this for my nephew who is nearly 8, so thought a small print grey would be more user friendly.

Yesterday afternoon I got three blocks done and I added the sashing to see what it would look like. I am pleased with the look. I like the handmade-ness of the mismatched gingham.




No comments:

Post a Comment