Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Top Stitching

Feeling all inspired after my successful sewing for baby Lucy, I thought I'd make something for myself. It's been years since I made anything but A-line skirts for myself, but I bought a top in the hols and thought I would just copy that! How hard could it be.

Step 1 was to draw over my shirt through brown paper and cut it out.


Then it was trial and error really. Not too many errors thankfully. The back of the top is a knit fabric, so I used my walking foot and zigzagged seams together first before straight stitching them. About four hours later ... voila! Almost like a bought one.


The bought one has a lower neck line which I think sits better than the one I made. I need to sort out the facings so I can stitch my top open lower down, so it's a deeper v. My favourite part of the one I made - the sleeves. I love the little cuffs.

All in all, not bad for an afternoon's work and about 2 metres of fabric.



 Show & Tell Thursday's

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I've not sewn clothes forever ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither. I am tired of paper patterns not producing a good fit.

      Delete
  2. looks pretty amazing - well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. It Looks lovely! Well done :) Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a beautiful job. could i ask where you bought the fabric? it is divine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max. I got it at Spotlight in Manukau. Down to $10 a metre as are all of the Japanese lawn cottons at the moment. I had to stop myself buying more when I was in there this morning!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant..I love the draped frill in the front and yes that fabric is beautiful and summery :)

    ReplyDelete