I have had the insul-bright sitting on the shelf for ages. I have been meaning to make an oven mitt for ages too. I finally got organised ... better late than never.
I used Adrianne's template because I can't draw. It's pretty obvious how it all goes together. But here are the steps I took.
I struggle cutting into a piece of fabric to make bias binding (ie binding cut on the bias). It feels like it uses sooo much more fabric than a regular binding! The binding is some crosshatch out of the stash and the linen/cotton birds I bought at Grandmother's Garden a couple of years ago. My Mum likes birds. There are bellbirds that visit the macrocarpa trees at the gate and I keep telling her she should teach them how to talk. When Nephew Lucas visits Nana, he likes to take the watering can out onto the lawn to clean the bird bath. He then crouches down and calls out, "Come on, come on" to the birds waiting for them to come down for a swim.
If I was to make this again I would add another 5 cm to the overall length.
PS The insul-bright is very crunchy ... the oven mitt makes a scrunching noise.