Monday, February 8, 2016

Making a Top

This long weekend I whipped up a Courtney Top by Style Arc, an Australian pattern company.

The upside from buying just across the Tasman is the exchange rate and reasonable postage. The downside from buying not local is having to wait a week for the pattern to arrive. In anticipation of its arrival, I visited The Fabric Store and purchased some black and 'beige' gingham style silk. It was on sale. It comes in a bigger check, but I thought I might look like a tablecloth wearing that big of a check. I sometimes wonder about that when I wear my navy checked top already!


Silk was maybe a little bit ambitious for a mere medium skilled sewer. It  frays like mad and I found it challenging to do the tiny bottom hem.


However, in saying that it was a pretty straightforward sew. I handsewed down the inside of the neck binding because I dislike fiddly machine sewing.
 

My favourite part, after the bias neck binding, is the little bit of gathering under the back yoke.


When I make my next one, I am going to lengthen it. I like the length of the back, but the front is maybe 5 cm shorter which I feel is too short for me.

I have spent too much of today doing school work, so I am now returning to sewing the flowers onto my Garden Party WIP.

4 comments:

  1. How about adding a black extension to the bottom to make it longer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about adding a black extension to the bottom to make it longer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good - will have to do some internet investigating of that pattern company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought 2 patterns from style arc , they pretty good

    ReplyDelete