Friday, April 14, 2017

No Sewing. Just School and Stuff.

I haven't done any sewing since the end of the summer hols. And I haven't felt like doing any either.

Instead I have written the final report for our Teacher Led Innovation Fund project. It was a big write up, but good to pull the story of the last two years together. We've had some good feedback including the report being taken to the Minister's Cross Sector Forum. The report led to co-authoring an article with my education guru for a teacher journal - still to hear whether it's been accepted. The report also led to a visit from the leader of a new NZ education not for profit. And we had two school visits from the South Island.

And I had 10 days in California. I attended the ASCD Empower Conference in Anaheim with 8000 other 'educators' and then trained down to San Diego to Deeper Learning 17. Deeper Learning kind of holds together the High Tech, EL (formerly Expedition Learning) and the Big Picture schools. They are schools I have followed for a long time.

I had a day pre-conference in Anaheim so did an organised tour of LA. The tour included Venice Beach (dodgy as), Santa Monica pier, Rodeo Drive, The Grove and Farmers' Market, Hollywood Boulevard (a way smaller and much dirtier version of Vegas). I am glad I did the tour. I have no desire to go back to LA. Give me America's small towns and National Parks any day.







Deeper Learning finished at 1.30pm, so I spent Friday afternoon at Balboa Park taking photos and soaking up the warm spring sunshine.




 



Then I had Saturday morning before I flew home, which I spent at Old Town.




My flight got in at 5.15am. I was home by 6.15am and at school by 7.15am.

I was back to school for five days before heading to Hawkes Bay for the Dixie Chicks at the Mission. They were fantastic and I have had their songs in my head all week.


Now it's the Easter and April hols. I am looking forward to a rest.

Maybe I will feel like sewing next term.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I've seen a fair bit of LA now and the best part is definitely the food!

    ReplyDelete