Sunday, August 26, 2018

... a Finish!

This is Blanket Bay by Frankie and Ray. I first discovered Frankie and Ray quilts through Linda at KokaQuilts and made two Aunt Bet's quilts about 18 months ago that are still waiting to be quilted. I like Frankie and Ray's 'uncontrived', scrappy, country look. 

This quilt used only fabric from the shelf, and I was keen to use fabrics that people don't recognise. The back is no work of art. It's pieced from the shelf too. 

I quilted this one with a combination of maize gold perle thread, two variegated Eleganza threads and my favourite variegated thread from Romania. Unfortunately, the Romanian thread ran out and there was none left in the shop. I prefer its weight to the Eleganza thread. I used a combination of masking tape and ruled lines for the quilting. It's interesting to see how crooked my straightlines are! 

I have used a wool batting so the quilt is super soft. 

Here it is hanging on the neighbour's wall up the driveway on a typical grey-ish winter's day in Auckland. I shouldn't say typical, because typical would be rain. Rain is the worst thing about an Auckland winter. 








No comments:

Post a Comment