Monday, August 31, 2020

10 NICU Quilts

Back in August 2015 I finished the quilt top for the Moda Modern Building Blocks. It was ginormous measuring at least 2.5 on one edge. This August, August 2020 during the Auckland only 19 day Level 3 lockdown I got 10 small NICU quilts quilted and bound. Ta-da! (Nine make a better collage.)


I am no machine quilter - generally I find it very stressful. I found it quite calming on these small quilts that easily fit into and under my little Bernette. Every quilt is cross hatched apart from one. And that one taught me that cross hatching is way more forgiving than straightline quilting! The whole process taught me that hand quilting hides many more sins than machine quilting - where a slight waver to get from one block of the quilt to the next stands out! I did love that machine quilting sped the job up enormously. It probably took about three hours to 505 baste, quilt and then bind each little quilt. I hand sewed the back of the binding down. 

It feels good to have the quilt top off the 'in progress' page and onto the 'quilts' page. I look forward to passing these over at our next in-person gathering of Monday Modern ... whenever that may be.

3 comments:

  1. What an ingenious idea to repurpose your Moda Modern Building Blocks. Love your blues and greens. I'm sure the little quilts will be much appreciated when they reach the NICU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, really it was too big to be of use. I hope these will be much more of use.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete