Saturday, October 10, 2020

Clothes Making

Not sure where my renewed interest in clothes making has come from. Possibly from the nice top I saw in the holidays that cost $160 and I said to myself I can make that.

My first make was the Bellbird top by The Sewing Revival. I used a brown floral rayon from The Fabric Shop in Otara @ $8 a metre.


I then made a second adding extra cm to the length. This one is made from a polyester. I am hoping it does not look to pyjama-ry! I was attracted by the colours.


I then took on Maven Patterns' Rochester top - mainly as a toile for the dress. I have owned this pattern for some time. I have also had the embroidered off-white cotton for a while too.


I think the fabric is too thick for the neck gathers.  I loosened the elastic already. The sleeves are also a little snug and it sits a little wide on the shoulders. I am glad I made this top before taking on the dress. I think I will try the dress but in a softer fabric like rayon so it will sit better.

Then my dress patterns arrived from Niche Print in Wellington. They print on A0. Having to stick a million A4 pages together has always put me off buying pdf patterns.

I started with the Stichbird dress also from The Sewing Revival. I used a green linen cotton mix from  The Fabric Shop. This is my new favourite and I will be making another one or two!



Then last night I made the Bellbird dress. I sized up from the tops as I worried about it being a bit snug around the butt. It is not snug and upon reflection, would go back to my regular size as it's a bit wide around the neck/shoulders. I think I like the dress more than the tops.


To save this from being a plain grey dress, I added some spots for the facings and pockets.


I have the French Dart pattern from Maven Patterns and the Egret dress from The Sewing Revival on the shelf and Frankie and Ray's box top pattern is in the mail. Oh, and a couple of skirt patterns coming from Style Arc in Oz. I am pretty ready to commit to not buying any ready to wear clothes this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, there is something quite satisfying about being able to make clothes in fabrics and colours that are you, rather than what the stores say we need to be wearing. Definitely not getting pj vibes from your tops. Looking forard to seeing the rest of your makes.

    ReplyDelete