Saturday, February 20, 2021

Well and Truly Done

Get it? Truly Scrumptious ... well and truly done.

This quilt took me a year to complete the stitchery blocks and sew them together into the quilt top. It then sat around folded up with the backing for 10 years. It took about 10 days to actually quilt. Crikey! Should have done it years ago.






Saturday, February 13, 2021

Truly Scrumptious Quilting Update

After mentioning I was struggling the DMC thread, one of my quilty friends @ Monday Modern Quilt Group, suggested I try Aurifil 12 wt. It is making my quilting life much easier. It is so much easier to pull through the fabric.


I reckon another couple of weekends and it will be done.

In the meantime, I posted my FWSG quilt after work yesterday so it should be in the hands of my cousin Moana early next week.

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Truly Scrumptious Quilt

Once upon a time I was quite into stitchery. I learnt to stitch in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. The year I lived in Colorado. 10 years after learning, I made the Truly Scrumptious quilt by Cinderberry Stitches. 10 more years later I have decided to quilt it to get it off the in progress list!



I am using the baptist fan quilting pattern. I am not going to quilt over the stitcheries. I may have made a mistake using DMC threads - it looks like string in the quilt and doesn't pull through the fabric very smoothly. However, it is not a big quilt, so won't take too long to finish. 

While my tastes have changed a bit, I am quite impressed by my stitchery skills from 10 years ago.

Monday, February 8, 2021

Finished Cushions

This is my latest Treehouse Cushion Society cushion from 2020 just finished. Think I will gift this one to my sister-in-law for her birthday later this month. I have ordered a wool inner for it.


And here is the other one I finished recently with its inner and in location.

I have two left to make. I don't like one of them so will use that fabric for a different style cushion. And the other requires sitting at the sewing machine. Sometimes that feels like work, so it can stay on the shelf a bit longer.

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Current WIP

My fourth Treehouse Cushion Society cushion from 2020. It is very pretty.




I like have some hand sewing on the go.

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Treehouse Cushions

Probably this time last year, I signed up for Treehouse Textiles cushion society. I only got two of the six made in 2020, but these hols got another one done and I think it is my new favourite.





Love the frill.

Monday, February 1, 2021

Finishes

It's been a while. In fact, so long, I have two quilts finished.

Firstly, the proverbial quilt featuring the lyrics from one of my favourite The [Dixie] Chicks songs. Coincidentally, the words kind of go with the big lockdown of 2020 when I put this one together.





Being shot cotton and hand quilted with a wool batting, it is super soft. While I remember, this quilt contains little bits of 'other' blue gingham, as seen in the G above, given to me by my Gran's cousin. She passed away in March 2020.

Even more recently, like this weekend, I have also finished my other big make started in February last year - the Free Wheeling Single Girl quilt.







It's a big one. About two metres x two metres. Again it is hand quilted with a wool batting. I splashed out on a wide backing for the first time. It weighs a tonne. This one is destined for my cousin. The first on my Mum's side to turn 50. 

I like both of these quilts very much.

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Clothes Making

Not sure where my renewed interest in clothes making has come from. Possibly from the nice top I saw in the holidays that cost $160 and I said to myself I can make that.

My first make was the Bellbird top by The Sewing Revival. I used a brown floral rayon from The Fabric Shop in Otara @ $8 a metre.


I then made a second adding extra cm to the length. This one is made from a polyester. I am hoping it does not look to pyjama-ry! I was attracted by the colours.


I then took on Maven Patterns' Rochester top - mainly as a toile for the dress. I have owned this pattern for some time. I have also had the embroidered off-white cotton for a while too.


I think the fabric is too thick for the neck gathers.  I loosened the elastic already. The sleeves are also a little snug and it sits a little wide on the shoulders. I am glad I made this top before taking on the dress. I think I will try the dress but in a softer fabric like rayon so it will sit better.

Then my dress patterns arrived from Niche Print in Wellington. They print on A0. Having to stick a million A4 pages together has always put me off buying pdf patterns.

I started with the Stichbird dress also from The Sewing Revival. I used a green linen cotton mix from  The Fabric Shop. This is my new favourite and I will be making another one or two!



Then last night I made the Bellbird dress. I sized up from the tops as I worried about it being a bit snug around the butt. It is not snug and upon reflection, would go back to my regular size as it's a bit wide around the neck/shoulders. I think I like the dress more than the tops.


To save this from being a plain grey dress, I added some spots for the facings and pockets.


I have the French Dart pattern from Maven Patterns and the Egret dress from The Sewing Revival on the shelf and Frankie and Ray's box top pattern is in the mail. Oh, and a couple of skirt patterns coming from Style Arc in Oz. I am pretty ready to commit to not buying any ready to wear clothes this summer.