Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Question about Colour/Values

I think I have a collection of fabrics that are all, but for maybe two, of the same value. But I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to value.

Here are the fabrics in colour and in black and white - I read somewhere where that can help separate them into value ranges.




The only ones that look dark-ish to me are the flying elephants and whales.

So if they are all too similar in value, I am guessing this cool Boy's Nonsense Quilt won't work? Won't work at all? Will still look ok?

I bought the fabric to make a baby quilt for my cousin Kelly's baby. I don't want to add any solids. I don't want to make another plus quilt. I don't want to make a quilt of just squares. Etc, etc.

I will probably go with the Boy's Nonsense pattern, but I am interested in other (ie better!) ideas. Thanks (-:

2 comments:

  1. Do you have small scale prints in your stash that are darker in value? Orange and teal maybe? I think you will need some darker values to get the Boy's Nonsense quilt to work the way it looks in the pic - it's a really nice pattern. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics! Teal & greys and a "pop" of mustard - a very modern baby combo.
    I looked at the pattern, lovely! And I guess you maybe have to decide whether you want to go dark/light and, as they all look quite busy, maybe have a play adding some background neutrals, or go the warm/cool way to add some interest?

    ReplyDelete